Monday, September 18, 2006

The Chicken Adobo Debut on Martha

I was flipping channels last Friday and I stumbled upon a cooking demo on making chicken adobo hosted by no other than Martha Stewart! The guest was a chef who owns a successful Filipino restaurant in New York. They have a different way of cooking the adobo. They baked the chicken after cooking it on the stove. Also, they put coconut milk and chili on the sauce. I understand that part because the chef is from the Bicol region. They are known for using coconut milk and hot chili pepper in their dishes. Despite the difference in our adobo preparation, I still was happy to have seen a Filipino dish on American television.

I photographed my television to get the stills of that show!

Here's Martha and the guest chef.

Chicken is cut into pieces.

Here's how coconut milk is extracted the traditional way. We used to own a similar grater. I once tried to use it. It's pretty hard. I was still a child when I tried it so I guess I'll never know if it was really hard. Nowadays, we can buy freshly grated coconut meat from the market. They now have a machine that can grate coconut meat in seconds.

Chicken is marinated in soy sauce, vinegar, water sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaf.

The chicken is cooked together with the marinade.

This is final product! For presentation, the adobo is placed on a banana leaf.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Toni said...

How interesting! Did they let the audience taste the adobo? If they did, how did they find it?

I am so craving for adobo right now because of this.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous SiKat said...

No, there was no food-tasting. There's an article here on how the guy that Martha gig.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home